Old October 19th 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 6:30:06 PM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 20:32 18 October 2017, wrote:
Has anyone ever got a hydraulic Tost disk brake to work WELL on a

Ventus
2C=
M? I'm convinced I've bled my brakes as well as they can be bled,

and
STILL=
the braking is very weak. I get some small braking action, but

nowhere
ne=
ar being able to put the glider on its nose, or flat-spot the tire. I

can
s=
low down for a taxiway turn off, so long as its well ahead, but not

enough
=
to help on a short runway, or enough for a real emergency stop. I

suspect
=
the wire cable between the control stick and the cylinder under the

seat
mu=
st be stretching. I may try a thicker cable (I'm experimental).

I have a Discus-2b with the factory Tost 5" wheel also. We had real
problems bleeding all of the air out of the line. Biggo at the factory
even sent me a pdf file with pictures in order to do it correctly from
the bottom. It was a real bear to get all of the air out. Also,
adjusting the cable/brake handle so that there is no play helps a lot.
Finally, get a new brake pad even if the old one looks OK. The new
one will be thicker, so the caliper won't have to squeeze over as
great a distance to apply pressure. All of these items add up.

RO

michael, can you post the pdf? I'm convinced I've done everything possible regarding bleeding, but still don't have good braking. So I don't expect it will help, but I'm desperate now. thanks.