Old February 20th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hearing Aids

" wrote in message
Casey,
Please post your decision as I was in USAF prior to 64 as a jet engine
mech and as I remember (if correctly) we have what is known as a high
noise impediment. Outside noise surrounding us decreases our ability to
comprehend the spoken word at different times depending on the amount and
volume of noise.

Hi Paul,
You put your finger on the mechanics of the hearing loss. Too bad we
didn't know better, back then. In 1967, at a physical for my second job out
of the USMC, the doctor said I should apply for a disability. Couldn't see
the point of it -- and still don't. I owe a lot to the Corps.
Since I've had an opportunity to do a good comparison between the
BTE and ITE styles, I've decided on the BTE.
The ITE, in my opinion for what that's worth, suffers from: (1) even a
moderate breeze induces a ROARING wind noise; (2) I can't use my cell phone
with them; (3) bone conduction noise while eating anything with more
texture than mashed potatoes totally blocks out conversation at the dinner
table [don't even think about potato chips!]; (4) battery usage is about
double that of BTE [that is probably a battery size issue]; (5) after three
weeks, I haven't gotten over the "banana-in-the-ear" syndrome.
At an attempt at objectivity, I will say the BTE is not without
problems: (1) getting the ear bud placed in the ear canal takes more effort
[if placed wrong it can cause lots of feedback and/or press uncomfortabley
on the eardrum]; (2) the transducer/amplifier unit is easier to dislodge
[read snag the little tube]; the ear tubes require, believe it or not, more
periodic cleaning; (3) moisture wicking "socks" on the headset interfere
with a comfortable fit [not a big problem, but nonetheless...].

Thanks to the entire RAP community for your comments.

By the way, I intend to leave the hearing aids off for the day before and
day of my next physical and see if I can still hear the "normal conversation
behind my back from six feet."

Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and