Old September 12th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ventus2

Default Gel Coat Question

To my knowledge SH is still using T35 already used in the early years.
Of course one can order a PU finish for new sailplanes.

True. They still use the T35, although the composition of the gelcoat has
changed over the years. I am unsure of the details of what changed. Trying
to discuss this with the factory over the years has always been a sore
point, as the gelcoat seems to last about 2 years in the southern hemisphere
before one needs to consider sanding it back and painting it in Urethane
(damn that missing ozone which has nothing to do with greenhouse gases
apparantly!). Unfortunately this is an expensive exercise for a new
aircraft, which is why the offer of a PU finish is a welcome one from the
factory.

Chris