Old June 29th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Looking for Advice..

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Ricky wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:38 pm, majortom546
wrote:
I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.
The total cost of the program is $27,000....
majortom546

Please do not listen only to the doom stories about salary, hours,
expense, and the liberal NYT article. Never trust or put much weight
on the media in making life-changing decions, especially about a
career.

Piloting careers are diverse and the job market fluctuates greatly. I
am not a career pilot (I am a career A&P who flys for fun at the
moment) but my nephew's story paints a different picture than the doom
& gloom stories given to you here so far.
He went into some debt but had wealthy parents to help him through
Baylor's aviation program, graduated with a bachelor's and a CFII,
Multi, went straight to the Dallas area and stepped into a $25,000/
year CFI job with very reasonable hours and benefits. A few months
later he hired on at Flight Safety as a co-pilot in a specific
business jet simulator and was paid over $30,000 for this. A business
jet captain, coming to train in the simulator liked my nephew and
said; "you should come work for us." So he went from Flight Safety to
co-pilot in a Sabreliner for a major corporation and his salary jumped
significantly to, I think, near $40,000. All this happened in less
than 2 years after graduating from a 4 year university so don't let
anyone tell you that you can't get a good flying job. If you want
something bad enough, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get
it, it can be your's.
I could tell you at least 5 more very recent success stories of pilots
just out of school getting very respectable careers flying. The
airlines are NOT all there is. There are corporations, 1000s of them
with small business jets. Helicopter jobs are hot, I understand, right
now (and usually are). You can fly and earn a living, don't listen to
those who say "don't!"
Many people really enjoy instructing as a career and make well over
$50,000 within a few years at the right school/insitution. My plan is
to get my CFII & instruct as a "side job" supplementing my A&P work or
to find a place that needs check or test pilots for planes worked on.
If you really want to fly and it's been your dream since you were
little, don't let anything or anyone stop you. You will never be
satisfied or happy until you're living your dream, anyway.

Ricky

There's a useful, contrasting viewpoint.
But (can't I resist being negative?) a 4 year degree from Baylor and
a CFII ticket is not a $27 grand proposition. $80? $100? $127 grand?
That's why it is very, very helpful to have well-heeled parents in
this situation.
I could mention the starry eyed young instructors living hand to mouth
in a tatty travel trailer, building hours towards an ATP.

Still, I like the idea of grabbing for the ring and living the dream.

Brian W

Baylor may be expensive but have you looked at Southeastern Oklahoma
State University in Durant, OK. I have known some folks that graduated
with a degree and all the certificates/licenses (your pick) and have
done well. They have had to earn their position by first being a flight
instructor, then a freight hauler, then start moving on up. A son of one
friend is now captain on a Gulfstream. He sent a picture of his "office"
and it is quite nice. There are other things than the airlines. BTW, I
have not association with SOSU. Just live near it and know some folks
that went there.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP