Old March 10th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 12:12:36 PM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
I understand that in some parts of Europe they require the safety brake cable, but don't require safety chains.
I opt for 2 safety chains, secured to the body of the trailer, and skip the brake cable to avoid the problem described.
FWIW
UH

UH is correct. Most glider trailers in Europe rely only on the brake system and have no safety chains. A few owners add them for redundancy.

When I picked up my Cobra trailers at the Port of Houston I brought SUBSTANTIAL chains and hookup hardware. Cross the chains underneath. Twist if they drag (until you can adjust the length.)

In an older Eastern European Blanik trailer, I noticed smoke in the mirror from one wheel -- brake was dragging (due to lack of maintenance) after about 10 miles. (I now carry a small fire extinguisher in my vehicle, for what it is worth.) When I tried to find replacement bearings from a large shop that specialized in bearings, they could not match them. They advised me to go down the street to a small horse trailer manufacturing shop, have the oddball axle unit (not Alko) cut off and American brand wheels, axle, hubs & bearings installed. They gave me an spare hub and bearings for $30. Now I can get more bearings at most US auto parts stores if needed. (I suggest buying a spare set of bearings for trailer.)
No brakes, just chains in that trailer.

On my Cobra's with the brake system, I drive and stop 5 miles before continuing to check the brake system, touch the hubcap for heat (carefully or fling a bit of water on it with a wet rag.) Do this at every stop en route.

READ the Cobra and Alko manuals about maintaining your brakes and at what juncture in the brake mechanical system you can make adjustments. You might be surprised where in the system small adjustments can be made, not necessarily on the brake adjusters in the hubs.

Note that the emergency brake handle should not go past 90 degrees vertical when brakes are applied.

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour. That's 50 mph. Yep, I take my time crossing the USA, usually on scenic back roads to avoid the big trucks passing me and blowing my van and trailer around. Those backroads are more interesting and often smoother than the truck infested Interstate highways. I start early, check tire pressures and the van engine, drive a few miles and check the trailer and keep going to just before sunset.

By the way, I no longer drive "straight through." Did it once in 1969, Marfa, Texas to Miami, Florida -- never again! Even as an indestructible 18 year old I was worthless and unsafe on the next day's drive, the last 400 miles to home.

Trade off driving with your crew person(s). (Driver has control of the music system.)
Audiobooks make the miles slide by. Aviation and space history and biography topics keep me awake.

Burt, on the road again.

Hi Burt,

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour.

Not true! Most glider trailers have been approved for 100km/h by now. In that case, they must place a white, round plaque or sticker with a black '100' on the tail end to indicate to the cops that they are not speeding when doing 100 with that trailer.
All this brake/bearing/tire burning up could be drastically reduced by installing a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system with a temperature warning. The alarm would go off way before you would see smoke because the heat transfers into the air of the tire quickly. Mine is so sensitive that it will react to the trailer rolling on black-top vs. light concrete surfaces.

Uli
'AS'