Old December 27th 03, 12:57 AM
Charles Gray

On 26 Dec 2003 20:54:28 GMT, (B2431) wrote:

Look, your admiration for the Nazis doesn't change the fact that Germany was
not "intact."

The fuel that should have been used training new pilots was used by front line
aircraft which were being flown by increasingly fewer experienced pilots and
dropping out of the skies in huge numbers. Those "thousands" of aircraft being
built underground, actually dozens, had no hope of ever saving your beloved
Reich. Had they gone into service many would have been destroyed in accidents
or by air strikes before ever seeing combat.

Or been jumped by U.S. fighters-- I'm given to understand that one
of the favorite late war US tactics was to wait until the german
fighers, low on gas, we're returning to their base, and then destroy
them.

Your observation that Germany still occupied territory beyond its borders is no
different from Japan at the time they surrendered.

If Germany was so "intact" why was the Marshal Plan needed?

well, to be fair, the Marshal plan was deisgned to avoid much of
what had trasnpired before WWII-- well fed, prosperous people are less
likely to elect dictators.
IMO, of all the US foreign aid ever spent, the Marshal plan and the
aid that went to Japan (don't know if it actually had an official
name) has got to go down as the most cost effective aid we ever gave
anyone.

Admire those Nazi pigs all you want, but at least be honest with their actual
track record.

By the way, those late war submarines were a waste of money and resources.

If Germany had started their late war aircraft production by 1943,
and the late war subs by 1943 (when they could have been built), the
war might have stretched out considerably longer-- but ended the same
i the end. The biggest difference is that we would have seen the
first A-bombs used over Germany, not Japan.
Of course, apologists often fail to note that th reason why such
programs were not instituted (hell, for that matter why Germanydidn't
go on a full wartime footing until 1943) was part and parcel of the
Nazi leadership.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Here's a question--until I got to college, I recall reading all
these books about german wartime production, how incredible it was,
etc. Every movie has a secret german production, etc, etc.
why is that, given that Germany had perhaps the LEAST effecient
system of R&D and most especially, of allocating resources of any fo
the major powers of WWII?