Old October 23rd 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 1:13:38 PM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:

More information has become available about the goTenna firmware. On some units, it's not possible to update the firmware. goTenna has offered to replace those units.

To find out if your device needs to be replaced, first download or update the official goTenna app to version 5.0.1 (very important!). https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tenna&hl=en_US

Next, read this forum post, and follow the instructions to see if your unit is one that needs to be replaced. https://meshcommunity.gotenna.com/t/...-here/2742/212. If it is, click the link in that post to fill out the Google Docs form for a replacement.

If your goTenna Mesh is not affected by this problem, then you can update the firmware on it. Again, it is very important to update the firmware with version 5.0.1 or newer of the official goTenna app. Using version 5.0.0 could brick your unit, like it did to one of mine.

The best way to get an up to date goTenna Mesh is to buy a new pair.

Trying to save money, I bought a used pair of goTenna Mesh units. Downloaded the latest goTenna app (5.0.2) and it reported the 0.13.48 firmware version and the suspicious-looking serial number of "AA12341234". It offered to update the firmware to the current version 1.1.8. Thus according to the official info the update should have worked. But, after the data transfer (about 30 minutes of triple-flashings of the white LED) the goTenna unit started flashing rapidly and never completed the update, even after a couple of hours. Afterwards it wouldn't pair with the app on the phone. Bricked.

I contacted goTenna support, and they gave me suggestions on how to make it work, but no luck. Bricked the other unit too. So apparently the current app still does not always really know which units can accept the upload. But, then goTenna Support sent me new replacement units, so all is well, and kudos to goTenna!

Next I need to try out GliderLink, will report eventually...