Old March 11th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Padraig[_2_]

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

On Mar 9, 11:11*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:54*pm, Padraig wrote:

But that is also defined by time from FAF for the LOC, right? *The
owner of the aircraft I tend to rent doesn't pay to keep his GPS
database up to date, so /U doesn't work too well in a lot of places.

I would think time would be part of it.

Good headwind down the ILS and your time now has changed since timing
is based on GS. *Distance would be the constant that would confirm you
have reached the middle marker (along with the marker beacon) should
your actual time differ then what the chart projects on a no wind
situation.

ILS would be ground based, GPS would be informational only for DME
purposes. *I would load the approach in the GPS and accept the warning
that it's for situational awareness as long as all the fixes matches
what I have on paper. *This is how I would run my shop if I was to do
the approach.

Yes, the problem is technically speaking I can't accept the approach
since it requires DME and I don't have it. If I had a legal GPS
database, I could fly it legally. But either way, if I'm flying the
ILS approach, the DH is the missed approach point. Once I hit that
altitude and I'm on the glide slope, I'm at the MAP. So I don't need
timing at all for the ILS, just if I were doing the localizer.

Thanks,
Padraig.