Old September 24th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Holding Pattern Question

"Dennis Johnson" wrote:

Here's my question: If I'm told to hold on a radial (as opposed to a
course), does that mean that I'm flying away from the station when I'm "on
course" in the holding pattern?

No. It means that you fly to the fix *on* the radial. IOW you are to be on
the radial when inbound to the fix.

For example, I'm given the instruction, "Hold south of the VOR on the 180°
radial, expect further clearance in 15 minutes." Once I get established in
the holding pattern, do I track inbound to the station on the 180° radial
or do I track outbound on the 180° radial?

Inbound.

How would that be different if I were given the same instructions, except
hold on the 180° course (instead of the 180° radial)?

You won't be given that instruction, at least not by a controller who knows
what he's doing.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM