Old September 1st 03, 04:17 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , John Spargo
writes
Tow rope friendly fences

We have a fence at the end of our runway that keeps our neighbors (Riding
School) horses out of the airfield. Occasionally the tow plane pilot snags
the fence with the rope, which winds round at least one, and sometimes more
strands of barbed wire- resulting in a broken rope and fence and a nervous
pilot.

After some discussion at the club the following fence has been mooted -
Wire strands supporting small aperture mesh sized to exclude the passage of
the ring on the end of the rope. (Chicken wire) tightly tensioned with a
split plastic pipe over the top - the whole aligned at 45 degrees. The idea
being that the plastic pipe will prevent the fence damaging the rope while
it is passing over it, and the mesh will prevent the rope from turning round
any strand.

Anyone solved a similar problem ? If so please let us have details

John Spargo

Cape Gliding Club

At two sites I know of the SOP is for the tuggies to overfly the
downwind end of the field, drop the rope near the launch point, do a
smart 180 and land.

--
Mike Lindsay