Old August 10th 04, 09:03 AM
OscarCVox

When I first started gliding, I purposefully found a
club where (on weekdays) I was the only one in the sky.
This was great to have, lowering my stress level until
I could get my wits about me enough to track gliders and tuggies
well, and understand the "flow" and habits of other soaring
pilots.

Some things I'd like to know from others:

How many collisions occured within 4 NM of the launch field? %wise
How many collisions are in audio-vario ships vs. non-audio?
How many times did a pilot purposely get closer to an aircraft he spotted (to
catch the same thermal/ridge)?

One thing I LOVE about flying with two people, is that we use the
"I'm outside, your inside" callouts to signify that the other
guy is on controls and checking distances to landouts and
managing flaps, while my sole job is "outside" looking for traffic,
towplane takeoffs, etc.

This seems to work REALLY well. I must say that I only fly solo
on sparse days, away from the field except for T/O and landing,
and if I don't have an audio vario, I slink away from
gliders that join me in a thermal.

Although I commonly wear a parachute, and have sport parachute training,
I'm not certain I will survive a collision. I prefer
avoidance vs. back-up-plan.
--

------------+
Mark Boyd

I suggest that you go find other gliders to fly with!
Unless you are used to other traffic it can be disoriantating to find yourself
in a thermal with several other gliders. It is best to get used to it and
improve your lookout.
Last year I was flying cross country and found a nice strong thermal all on my
own. After about 3 turns I was bounced by the junior Nationals competition and
found myself in company with 30+ gliders in same thermal. I am used to busy
thermals but that was just too much so I scarpered off to find another one.
Then the blighters followed me!
I suggest that avoiding other traffic is false safety. It is better to be used
to the situation as you do not always know when it will be needed It certainly
sharpens up your lookout skills.

It is interesting to note that most mid airs in recent years have not been in
congested airspace. Almost all gliders in this country have audio varios which
are essential if you are to keep a good lookout whilst thermalling. Of the
three recent mid airs I can think of one was on fnal approach, one was local
soaring in poor visability and one was in a cross country thermal with only the
two gliders in the area.

The decision when and if to hit the silk is a very personal one. I have seen
pilots injured by bailing out when the glider was only slightly damaged.
Conversly I have seen pilots killed by trying to fly a badly damaged glider
back to the field.

Please everybody keep a good lookout and be safe. We have had far to many
accidents an injuries this year.
Fly with your head, observe, anticipate and plan your escape route if
everything turns to worms.
Nigel