Old May 3rd 04, 08:13 AM
Stan Gosnell

Gerald Sylvester wrote in
ink.net:

The biggest problem I had was going from the IFR part to
the visual on short final. The night time might have had
something to do with it but regardles I had a hard time
adjusting. I presume this is somewhat normal. Any words
of wisdom?

About all I can say is be careful. This is a tough area. I'm
lucky enough to fly a dual-pilot aircraft, and my usual policy
is that the PF does the landing if we break out on the ILS at or
above 400'AGL, but the PNF, who is looking outside, does the
landing if we break out lower. It's just too difficult to make
the transition at lower altitudes, which can be as low as 100'.
Practice it a lot, with a safety pilot if possible. Proficiency
comes with practice, and instrument flying takes lots of
proficiency to be done safely.

--
Regards,

Stan