Old May 3rd 04, 05:04 PM
Michael

Gerald Sylvester wrote
The biggest problem I had was going from the IFR part to the
visual on short final.

I'm glad you recognize where the big issue is on the approach. See,
when you do them at night, especially if the visibility is less than
perfect, this becomes obvious. Keep doing them at night - doing it in
the daylight with good vis is no challenge, but doesn't prepare you to
shoot that ILS to less than a mile vis either.

The night time might have had something
to do with it but regardles I had a hard time adjusting. I presume
this is somewhat normal. Any words of wisdom?

Yes, it's very normal. It's also not easy.

I suggest that even when you go visual at DH, you keep the instruments
in the scan. Learn to divide attention between visual and instrument
references. On an approach in very low vis (remember, as an
instrument rated pilot you might legally land with as little as 1800
RVR - less than half mile vis at ground level) you really should not
be fully off instruments until you flare.

If a VASI is available, use it.

Make your power reductions gradually, and don't forget to retrim as
you do. Realize that you don't get less busy when you acquire visual
references, you get MORE busy.

Practice. It will get better.

Michael