Old June 12th 04, 02:30 PM

Andrew Gideon wrote:

wrote:

You can subscribe to the NACO electronic charts on DVD from Sporty's.
Still a pretty good deal, then you have them all on your PC.

Hmm. What format, and are these both en route and approach?

[Of course, printing en route charts...]

You have to subscribe to the paper en route charts, also available from
Sporty's.

I get a little apprehensive when I think about flying with a limited set of
charts (ie. only those for my destination, alternate, and starting point).
What if I need to put down IFR somewhere unexpected?

I guess that depends upon how well you select the charts to print out before
you leave home.

I also become appehensive when I consider relying upon an electronic DB of
charts. Power problems, MSFT Blue Screen of Death (or the equiv. for some
other OS), accidentally dropping the thing...

Others are obviously solving these concerns to their satisfaction. How?

- Andrew

I can't speak for others, only myself. I always have my laptop with me, and I
have a clunky portable printer. But, I would only use the printer on the
ground. I guess I overprint charts to CMA. With a laser printer at home that
is no big deal.

Obviously, if you're flying serious IFR "all over the place" and "all the
time," then you either need reams of paper charts or a certified tablet PC
(read: expensive)