Old February 16th 10, 09:37 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Default They call it the impossible turn.

I'm not convinced it's a case of being too poorly trained to make the
180 safely. I'd suggest that the best trained pilots would have a good
chance of dying if they attempted a 180 after a power failure on take
off.
I'm more inclined to believe that it's a case of the a/c not being
capable of making it back, no matter what the pilot's skill level.
Having said that, a well trained pilot would not attempt the 180 in the
first place, but that's not what you were suggesting.

Of course, the judgement when a 180 is possible and when not is a
crucial point in that training. Actually, this is what glider pilots
train all the time.