Old December 8th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default How fast does the skin of the airplane cool to surrounding temperatures?

Except for integral fuel tanks, where warm fuel is in
contact with the skin, the aluminum skin will be below
freezing in a matter of less than a minute. The warm hanger
will have the airplane ice free and all the weep holes
should drain, but if there is snow falling, spray it with
glycol with a rich enough mixture to keep the surface ice
free for the expected take-off delay.

Even better, don't take-off in the blizzard, wait for the
snow to stop and the taxi and runways to be plowed.

"Peter R." wrote in message
|A question for those of you more adept at chemistry/physics
than I: How
| fast does the aluminum skin of the standard single engine
GA aircraft take
| to cool to surrounding air temperatures? For example, how
long would it
| take for the skin to cool from a heated hangar at 65
degrees F to outside
| air at 20 degrees F?
|
| This is my first winter where my airplane sits at my
destination airport
| (Buffalo, NY) all week in a heated hangar. The problem I
just inherited
| is that if I desire to depart during a lake effect
snowfall event, falling