Old August 10th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Aug 9, 6:30*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 8/9/2010 7:20 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Aug 9, 3:07 pm, *wrote:
I read that the Trigg is ADB-S out compliant. *Has anyone attached a
GPS in and had any luck in an area with a ADB-S system in place? *With
all the mid-air accidents, my wife is spooked and I need to tell her
something is going to make it better or safer or smarter or
something. *It would be great if the Trigg worked well as a ADB-S
broadcast so we would only have to buy a cheap receiver that would
blue-tooth into my oudie the other aircraft locations. *Yes it might
be a dream but I can only hope. *Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! *If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby. *I know its
safe, but multiple deaths in a short period of time does not send the
right message to my significant other. *Please fly
safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trig certainly works as an ADS-B transmitter, the FAA is flying
them for ADS-B survey work. I have not hands-on used one. Places out
West currently lack ADS-B GBT coverage and so are less interest to
play with right now.

What collision scenario are you most worried about? Glider-on-glider,
glider-on-GA or glider-on-airliner or fast jet? Starting with a
transponder gives you great visibility to ATC near crowded airspace
and to those airliner and fast jet TCAS systems.

The "cheap (ADS-B) receiver" you probably want is a PowerFLARM. ~
$US1,695 list may challenge your idea of "cheap" but it is a lot of
technology for the price. All other current ADS-B receivers are at
best only a few hundred dollars cheaper and don't offer near the
capabilities for glider applications (and you get flarm-flarm protocol
support for "free").

Darryl

An ADS-B receiver is useless unless you are also transmitting ADS-B out.
* If you have both and you are in range of an ADS-B ground station, you
will see all transponder equipped aircraft that are visible on ATC
radar. *If you buy an ADS-B IN only receiver, you will not reliably
receive any traffic info from any ground stations.

--
Mike Schumann

Reread his read his post carefully. He started with assuming he had a
Trig TT21 with ADS-B out and then was talking about adding an ADS-B
receiver.

Darryl