Old August 24th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Getting rid of the bugs and gotchas!

On 8/23/2010 8:17 AM, akiley wrote:
Well, I've flown long enough to know not to trust electronics. I have
600 power hours using all sorts of navigators. Funny, when you use a
Garmin 396 on a computer, it sets magnetic variation to user set
instead of auto. SeeYou has quite a few bugs and gochas too. So my
primary is look at the down angle back to the airport.

I've used SeeYou Mobile for 1000+ hours all over the USA, and I'm not
aware of any bugs or gotchas. I would never go back to paper charts,
whiz wheels, or just looking out the window. For example, most of my
final glides begin 30 to 50 miles from the airport, where I can't even
see it, yet they work out well most of the time.

Your statement "So my primary is look at the down angle back to the
airport" suggests to me it's not SeeYou, but more likely your setup or
interpretation of what Mobile is telling you. If you are that close, the
computer should be working with no problems.

Flight computers can be a real aid to efficient, enjoyable soaring, so I
hate to see someone having problems with them. What version of mobile
are you using? Can you describe the two biggest bugs and gotchas?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz