Old August 24th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default required LD versus required MC to make it home ??

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:56:48 -0700 (PDT), Joseph Kiley
wrote:

I don't think SeeYou does very well with winds. This is what I've
experienced and read in other posts. I get winds aloft from several
sources/stations during my home briefing. I enter those directly into
SeeYou and always check them before I do my MC required to target.

Well, actually SeeYou's wind calculations are actually very good, even
if its only data source is GPS. But you have to remember that the wind
is only calculated while you are circling, and that it might take a
couple of minutes to get accurate data.

My SeeYou is not plugged into anything so it's all GPS. To be honest,
I use it mostly to analyze me flight when I get home. I look at it in
flight to backup a possible creepy feeling because I look a bit low
for my liking. I fly MC zero generally because I'm flying local
working on my thermal technique. If I encounter sink I speed up maybe
10 or 15 knots depending on how large the sink area is. If I have a
headwind I'm trying to penetrate, I will speed up somewhat as well. I
guess what I really want to be sure of is NOT landing out.

Try this for your Cirrus:
- set MC on your PDA to 2 meters/second (do the maths for the units
you use)
- set bug factor to 30 percent
- set arrival altitude to a value of your liking, say, 600 to 900 ft

With these settings you can be nearly 100% sure that you are going to
reach the chosen airport with the desired arrival altitude.

If you know of any bugs in SeeYou Mobile, please report then to
Naviter.

Have done that.

Which bugs did you observe?
I've been flying with the relatively old SeeYou 2.71 for the last
15.000 kilometers and found no bugs worth mentioning.

Greetings from germany
Andreas