Old August 24th 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Getting rid of the bugs and gotchas!

On Aug 24, 6:39*am, Westbender wrote:
I'm with Mike. You can't get any simpler than using the "Arrival
Altitude" navbox. It takes into account all available parameters
(distance, Mc, bugs, ballast, wind), and is corrected for reserve
altitude. This requires you have reasonable polar info entered for the
ship you're flying. This feature is perfect for first forays into xc
flying. You can use this to "hop" from one airfield to the next. A
quick glance at the navbox will show whether you can make the current
waypoint from your current position. Negative value = climb, 0 or
higher = good to go.

Seems like many pilots are using multiple complicated methods to
determine their final glides. Most are using MC settings for that
purpose. Is it just me who never use MC setting to determine arrival,
but using bug factor instead? Following the KISS principal, this is
the simplest way. No need to compare L/D, guesstimate MC, disconnect
the vario or ignore the MC speed to fly, etc. Just set your bug factor
to degrade your polar to something you are comfortable with (I found
70-75% to work fine most of the time), set your MC to zero and watch
your arrival altitude. Once you are comfortable with the arrival
altitude just keep maintain the same number by either speeding up or
slowing down. Works perfect for me.

Ramy