Old August 25th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Aug 24, 4:11*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote

The Pro-Peak appears to be identical to the Multiplex LN5014 that I
already have. I like the charger, it works well, it's simple to use, and
is very handy for the glider and other purposes, but I still wish for one
that charged 12 volt SLA batteries at 14.6 volts instead of 14.0, and
would discharge at 1 amp or more, instead of only 0.4 amps.

Maybe someone has another recommendation?

*MMmmmm. *I am not so sure why you would want to go for more charge voltage.
From what I read, that higher voltage is very harmful to SLA batteries.
Same reading says not to use a charger meant for car batteries (flooded lead
acid) because of the higher voltage hurting the sealed versions.

I have never used a multi stage charger. *I only use a small float charger,
which I normally charge and leave on floating for 3 or so days, then remove
it until a month later, then charge with the float charger again for one
day.

The thing I have found that kills SLA quicker than crap, is leaving them
sitting around in a low charge state. *That, and do not use an adapter or
jumpers to charge it from a running car electrical system. *I once destroyed
a battery in one weekend, using that idea. *After that, I read about the
higher charge being a "bad thing" and now I believe it.
--
Jim in NC

High flat voltage is a bad thing. The right voltage during absorption
charge mode (which Eric is talking about) helps charge the battery in
a minimal time and is not bad - it is the recommended process for
these batteries.

Darryl