Old August 25th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

Default Glider Batteries and Chargers

"Martin Gregorie" wrote

The only place I've been happy to use untimed chargers is with low
capacity NiCds. My favoured approach there is to use a "1% charge rate",
i.e. charge at 0.01C, and leave the battery permanently on charge unless
I'm flying the model its installed in. NiCds are frequently used as low-
maintenance emergency batteries and these are invariably left on charge
at the 1% rate for years at a time so they like this treatment. Its
really convenient: put the model box back on its rack after a contest or
trimming session, open the lid, connect the charger and forget about it
until next time you go flying.

My strategy for RC NiCads is to charge them with peak charger after flying,
then hook them onto a power strip with all of the other factory chargers or
equivalent which is powered by a 7 day charger. I set it to come on for 2
hours, once per week.
--
Jim in NC