Old August 29th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Just pull the little red handle!

On Aug 29, 2:17*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Any body got the
straight skinny on the Uvalde mid-air? I'm thinking Chris did a flying
ground loop (air-loop) that spun him around so fast it broke the boom.

If two gliders are exactly head on with a vertical separation such
that they will miss, but only just, then they will miss if neither
pilot does anything. If the top guy pulls at the last second, or the
bottom guy pushes at the last second it seems possible that the tail
boom of the top glider could come into violent contact with the
horizontal of the bottom glider.

I hope the NTSB with have done a careful examination of both gliders,
any photos, and any third party inspection reports and I look forward
to reading their report.

More likely it will just say that 2 gliders collided in unknown
circumstances.

Andy