Old August 30th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stephanevdv

Default Just pull the little red handle!

I flew a Ventus2BXR at Saint-Auban, France. The "R" stands for
"recovery parachute". It has a little yellow/black handle that needs
to be secured with a pin when on the ground, because the pyrotechnic
system going off in somebody's face when pushing the glider presents a
real safety problem. You have to take the safety pin off just when
ready for launching, and have to put it back before opening the canopy
after landing. I'm sorry to say I sometimes had some problems
remembering one or the other... There are also three items to add to
the preflight check: primary (maintenance) safety removed, safety wire
OK, electronics checked). And in France, having a ballistic recovery
parachute doesn't mean you no longer have to wear a personal chute...
Kind of belt and braces approach!

Many German glider types can be had with that system, but people
prefer adding a motor or fancy glide computers...