Old September 1st 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Just pull the little red handle!

On 9/1/2010 8:48 AM, Surfer! wrote:

"Ramy" wrote in message
snip
I believe
the biggest glider to glider risk is during XC or contests flights, in
which the majority of pilots owns glass ships and likely can afford
it. Those who obviously can't should get some slack and perhaps use
the radio more often for position reports. But those who fly 100K
ships should have hard time explaining why they don't use Flarm.
My gut feeling is that 90% of pilots who are at risk can efford it,
which sould be sufficient to significantly reduce the risk.

Ramy

We spend what we can afford on our gliders. For most of us (including
me) there is previous little left over for much else - I certainly
cannot afford to upgrade from a £16k ship to a £26k one, or even a
£20k one.

Additionally, in Europe there are also the EASA hoops that would have
to be jumped and that is neither simple or cheap.

A Flarm is less than £1k, isn't it? And what are the EASA hoops you'd
have to jump through to put a small, self-contained box on top of your
instrument panel?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz