Old September 9th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Caution - Arizona Airspace and Borders

On Sep 9, 2:09*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Sep 9, 11:27*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:

On 9/9/2010 9:02 AM, Mike the Strike wrote: One major message, though, is to take the warnings on the files
seriously - do NOT use them for navigation purposes! *That's what
charts are for.

How do you compare an IGC file to a paper chart? Can the pilot state "I
was legal according to my paper chart" and get away with it? I thought
the standard for contests was the pilot flew according to the turnpoint
and airspace files the contest provided, so pilots, scoring program, and
the contest managers were all using the same data.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Eric:

That's the rub. *No official airspace file has been either defined or
given to contestants.

We have the situation where the scorer is using files he developed
himself and the rest of us are using files from the Turnpoint Exchange
that are not deemed "official". *Who knows what the CD is using!

We didn't think that this was a big problem until we ran into the
latest glitch, now we are going to address the issue!

Mike

And just to throw some more fuel on this fire, as pilots we are
responsible for navigating with reference to approved data, which
means Sectional charts or VFR GPSs with up to date navigation data
(say a Garmin with current cycle data loaded). So what happens if the
scoring program, using non-official airspace data, shows a violation,
and the pilot proves, somehow, that he used his up to date VFR Garmin
and/or sectional and did not bust the airspace? Who is right? The
pilot is right as far as the FAA is concerned, but wrong in Winscores
mind?

Oh boy, this is going to be fun!

Kirk
66