Old September 16th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default FLARM Technology for the US Gliding Community

On Sep 16, 2:49*pm, M North wrote:
Thank you, Andy. *This discussion is very helpful indeed.
My final question is this: *if a foreign pilot brought her glider to
the US, would the FLARM installed in that glider cooperate in a gaggle
full of PFARMs? *I would like to know the answer, regardless of who
would disapprove of such behavior.

You would have to ask the supplier of your FLARM unit. The
documentation I have seen says the units will switch to the USA
allocated frequency and the communication protocols are reported to be
identical.

You should also note that the documentation for current FLARM units
includes a very clear prohibition against use in the USA. One way to
enforce that probibition would be to make the units inoperable in USA
by a firmware update although I have no information that FLARM intends
to do that.

I wonder what visiting pilots at the pre Worlds at Uvalde will be
using.

Andy