Old September 18th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Progress

On Sep 18, 9:51*am, Gaetan Trudel wrote:
Hi
I have a 20 year old electronic vario from LX in my glider. It does
what it should be doing very well in my opinion. But I never fly with
any other vario. I see many new vario, LX,Tasmann, Westerboer... and
so on.
Is there technical progress that make my 20 year old vario obsolete
and justify spending money on the latest vario?
I am often attracted to gadget.
Regards
Gilles

Yes. New varios are better than old varios. (I don't know LX, but
newer cambridge are much better than older cambridge for sure.) You
center better, climb better, and sometimes catch a thermal you would
miss otherwise. Second to good installation, a great and well-
calibrated vario is the single most important investment you can make
for thermaling and cross country performance.

A mild opinion, for once

John Cochrane