Old October 9th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ADSB panel display

So what happens when 20 ADS-B equipped gliders share a thermal?

If the answer is "I don't care, because I don't fly in gaggles" then it would be helpful to know this so the rest of the community can give your opinion all the weight it deserves.

T8

T8,

My answer would be the same if some, or even all of the gliders, had flarm: in a shared thermal, I hope all 20 glider pilots would have their attention out of the cockpit.

Both systems clearly have advantages, but it seems obvious to me that the future is with adsb, in the USA, and since both are expensive, it will be rare to buy both systems. Flarm's collision prediction is a help in thermals, but that assumes everyone has flarm, and there are no dead spots in antenna reception.