Old October 12th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

The BRS/CAPS chute is not 100% and it does take time to
work. Cirrus says they recommend 2,000 and a maximum AS of
133.
Those ground reference maneuvers, turns about a point may
have 50-60 degree banks at 500 AGL. Narrow river, high
speed, medium bank, and two pilots. Maybe the Yankee
management will realize that the Munson accident happened
BECAUSE the other non-rated CFI was in the Citation. The
only pilot was deferring to his first CFI and the CFI was
being polite to the PIC. Read the NTSB report. This may
be the same, expect there will be cockpit testimony.
http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/n...SB-AAR-80-2%22

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
message
| Bob Chilcoat wrote:
| Has anyone heard anyone mention the name of the flight
instructor? I guess
| he/she's a real guy/gal, but from the media, you would
never know that there
| was a real human in the right seat. Sad.
|

| They announced his name on CNN this morning. If I found
the right Tyler Stanger
| (there was only one listed in the entire US pilot
database), he's from Walnut,
| CA (LA County) and is a CFII with a mechanic's rating. He
sounds like the
| perfect guy to help a newby fly back across the US. I
assume more will come out
| in the next day or so about what kind of guy he was.
|
| If he is from LA, then I suppose that might suggest an
unfamiliarity with NY
| airspace, particularly around the East River. But it's
all conjecture at this
| point.... I'm just talking out of my ass. At this point I
am nowhere near
| willing to offer an opinion as to what caused the
accident. Besides, it usually
| isn't any one thing.
|
| As an aside, I saw a women being interviewed who said she
saw smoke *above* the
| plane right before the collision. Do you suppose they
tried to deploy the chute