Old February 15th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drjy2k

Default LS6"C" (17.6) Cockpit Size

On Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 6:53:53 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
The LS8 doesn't use the in-flight adjustable seat back cable like the
LS6 - it uses a ground adjustable T-shaped rod that projects out of
the rear bulkhead. I don't know if curving the seat back further would
buy you any more head room in an LS8, but it's a neat idea.

The LS8 is a tighter cockpit than my ASW-19B, but nowhere near as
tight as the D2A. It was a worry when I bought my LS8 as to whether or
not I would fit in. FWIW, I'm 71 inches tall, weigh 220 pounds with a
Strong 303 chute, wear a size 44R jacket and 36-30 trousers. It turns
out that I fit just fine (seat bottom is in the middle, seat back is
one notch from the back, and rudder pedals are three notches from the
back).

One word of caution - my first seating position gave me much more
headroom that I'd had in the ASW-19. This wasn't a good thing - I
could only see the wings of the towplane during tow and had a limited
view of the runway when on final! I now fly with a finger width of
space between my head and the canopy, and the sight picture is quite
good (with nothing mounted on top of the glare shield).

-John

On Mar 17, 12:43 am, JS wrote:
Owned an A, recently looked at a C for a friend, who I am led to
believe purchased it. Same cockpit size. For a tall pilot to fit in
an LS-6 comfortably, cut the seat back and bend it below the headrest,
so the headrest tilts forward a bit more. The seat back will then
recline further. Ordinarily, the headrest hits the bulkhead before the
seat adjustment cable gets to maximum tilt.
The A had a flat seat back, the B and C have a curved back, same as
the LS-8.
Jim