Old July 17th 05, 04:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rich" wrote in message

It does happen. Usually a factor of traffic congestion with really bad
weather. If they accept you, they've GOT to handle you... but they're off
the hook if they don't accept the hand-off from the previous facility.
It's a real-time, dynamic situation... ten minutes later they might have
been able to work you in.

Happened to me once, flying to Oshkosh from SE Michigan. Chicago Center
refused to take the hand-off from Muskegon approach. Muskegeon held onto
me as long as they could, and finally gave me a heading of 180 to keep me
in their airspace. I told them in no uncertain terms that I didn't want
to fly Lake Michigan lengthwise. Fortunately, it was VMC so I cancelled
IFR and went on my merry way.

Was that during the EAA convention? If it was, did you have a reservation?