Old September 5th 03, 10:48 PM
Tex Houston

"Scott Peterson" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

I don't think any were. This plane was strictly an interceptor for
shooting down bombers. No guns, no ground attack capability.
Absolutely no use in Viet Nam.

Adding a political comment, when George W. joined the Texas ANG, he
was assigned to an F-102 unit. Some of the comments about that were
that it was a very safe unit to join as there was no possibility of
overseas assignment.

Scott Peterson

F-102s did indeed serve in SEA and early on too. The 509FIS sent F-102s to
Tan Son Nhut on 21 March 1962 under Project "Water Glass" and they remained
under Project "Candy Machine". In addition to Tan Son Nhut tey were
stationed at Bien Hoa. Some of these deployments were from the unit at
Clark. The F-102s also served at Don Muang from 1961-1964. I think they
were also at Udorn at one time (but maybe not...it was a long time ago).
Since so many F-102 were ANG service in SEA was opened to them on an
individual basis under Project "Palace Alert".

I did not see the original message (I don't see Tarver messages unless
quoted) so I don't know whose ox I'm goring.

Tex Houston