Old July 4th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Letter to the FAA

At 13:22 03 July 2017, John Wells wrote:
Any reason why rope-cutting guillotines (like we have in winches) aren't
in=
stalled in tow planes? Regardless of the design of the hook, surely
redund=
ancy (as long as it doesn't increase the risk of an unintended release,
whi=
ch would potentially be more problematic on tow than on the winch).

Our aerotow ropes have weak links at both ends, a weak one at the glider
end and a stronger one at the tug end. Normally the glider weak
link goes but if the tug takes the rope through the hedge the the tug end
goes and no harm - except to the tug pilot's reputation.

Chris