Old July 6th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

I am using a Kobo Glo with Top Hat.
I am also using three different pages and different infoboxes (menulookinfoboxes)selected for each page for; circling,cruise and final glide functions.
When in "cruise" as I start turning into a thermal it automatically switches to the "circling mode" ( also switches to thermal assist in addition to the new info boxes programed now show up) and when I leave the thermal after about 20 seconds or so it switches back to "cruise mode". The same with final glide.
I hope I am answering your question?

What happens to the zoom level when the pages switch? If you were cruising with a zoom of 9.8 miles and then start to circle--and the zoom level in your last thermal was 0.6 miles--does the page zoom in to 0.6 miles when you start to circle? When you start cruising again, does the zoom level return to 9.8 miles? [I believe you would have to enable "Distinct Zoom" for this to work]. Since you have multiple pages set up, can you manually switch between those pages (the only way I know of is to enable the Screen switching button on the page and then press that button)? If/when you manually switch, do the circling and cruising pages retain their zoom levels?

If so, THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!

I played around with my Kobo Glo/Top Hat tonight and it appears that if I set up two sets of infoboxes (circle and cruise) and one page set on "Auto", the pages should switch from circling to cruising. I say "should" because they don't in replay or sim mode but the way I read the Help comments, they should. However, with one page set to "Auto", the Screen switching button disappears. So if I want to zoom out while I'm circling, I have to press the zoom out button multiple times, then reverse the process when I want to go back to circling mode. Ugh.

As a first try this weekend, I've configured two pages: one as "Auto" and the other as "Cruise". Each seems to retain the zoom level I set for it and I can page from Circling to Auto and back again by pressing the Screen switching button. What I suspect is that it will autoswitch just fine but always stay at one zoom level. If I enable thermaling zoom, that will override the zoomed out view on the Cruise page and I'm back where I started.

Chip Bearden