Old March 3rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,alt.politics

Default The Impossibility of Flying Heavy Aircraft Without Training

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:28:52 -0500, Bryan Martin
wrote:

I don't know if it was the first time, but it happened once back in the
early '80s in, I think, Arizona. I believe it was a PSA DC-9. A disgruntled
ex-employee snuck a gun on board and forced his way into the cockpit and
shot the flight crew and then dove the plane into the ground. Of course in
that case the hijacker had a real weapon and about the only thing that might
have stopped him was someone else with a gun. Then of course there is the
case of the FedEx DC-10 where the crew barely managed to prevent a nut case
soon to be ex-employee from doing the same.

The 9-11 hijackers weren't even armed. No mater what anybody says, a box
cutter is not a weapon. The only way you can do any serious damage with one
is if your victim stands there and lets you do it. Real weapons in the hands
of the crew could have stopped them cold. The passengers could have rushed
them and put a stop to it. This last scenario has happened at least twice
since 9-11. The "shoe bomber' was subdued by passengers. In another case a
drunk passenger tried to force his way onto the flight deck and was stopped
by several passengers who damn near beat him to death.

He was DOA at the airport. Said his heart failed as I recall.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

in article ,
at
wrote on 2/27/06 12:10
PM:

Bryan Martin wrote:
Now we all know just how stupid this policy
was. They should have known it before, 9-11 is not the first time a hijacker
has taken over an airliner and deliberately crashed it.

When was the first time a hijacker took over an airliner and
deliberately crashed it?

That particular scenario had been considered plausible since
at least eh early 1960's and was one of the design criteria
for the outermost containment domes at nuclear power plants.