Old January 18th 05, 06:50 AM
Newps

Wizard of Draws wrote:

This doesn't seem like a prudent thing to do. If 1/2 of the airport is
obscured, how would you know that the rest wouldn't fog up in less time than
it took to land? IMHO, it would be best to fly the published approach and be
ready to go missed.

Local experience. Due to our location on top of some high terrain when
we get fog we often have only half the airport 0/0. The other half
literally is clear and a million. A VFR pilot can be stuck on the
ground seeing his destination 60 miles away but behind you less than a
1/4 mile no approach short of an autoland will get you in.