Old November 3rd 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 12:44:18 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
In this case I believe the motor was not the issue, but the extension mechanism either didn’t fully extend, or the position sensor switch failed to work.
It’s one reason to like FES, as extension only needs motor to drive.

Less to go wrong - but still plenty to go wrong. I'm curious if the pilots who do this (expect the motor to save them from unlandable terrain) would fly low across a sea in a single engine Cessna. Most people won't, and that is a fully tested, commercially produced, running power plant. Yet these guys will fly across rocks with a not running, prototype powerplant, with their fingers crossed.