Old September 9th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

On Sep 8, 5:53*pm, wrote:

* * * * * * So some sort of weather information is mandatory, and that
would include temp and dewpoint. There's no excuse for being surprised
by carb ice. None at all. Like I tell my students, "You wouldn't dive
into water without making sure there were no hazards in it that might
injure you (hard or sharp pointy things under the surface, predators,
and so on) and that it wasn't one degree above freezing. Why would we
take off into air about which we know nothing?

An awareness of carb ice conditions is one thing; but you are
advocating teaching two different landing techniques as a result. To
me that is too complex for students and unnecessary. Just keep it
simple; use the same approach technique regardless of carb icing
conditions.

-Robert