Old June 4th 05, 10:03 AM
Bruce

Bob Whelan wrote:
Matthieu wrote (w. snips)...

What would be a nice metal equivalent of the KA6E or Foka 4?

I am asking because those ships are 40+ years old now and I am
concerned about the aging wood... Should I be concerned?

Peace of mind would seem to incompatible w. structural concern of any kind,
regardless of validity. (FWIW, I've never been able to talk myself into
flying wood ships. Wood I trust...but those glue joints are another mental
matter!)
- - - - - -

SNIP

My experience - if it was done well originally you never have a problem again.
If I compare the loose rivets and other problems on the L13s that fly at our
club to the wood wing Scheibe ships there is no comparison. Have seen a student
land a Bergfalke on the main wheel and one wingtip - the Scheibe survived a
spectacular groundloop with the only damage to the wing being a hole where the
tip wheel pulled out - try that in metal...

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57