Old September 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Trevor

Default medical question

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
snip

My concern is, if he writes this up in my medical records, do I have
to report it to the FAA? I'm really terrified of this.

Yes, you have to report it at your next medical

Even though I don't have depression?! 102 degree fever indicates
infection, no depression (which I don't have anyway). How could a
routine appointment for a fever make me lost my medical? This is the
most unfair thing I've ever encountered, just because of some doctor's
incompetence. He's making something up, because he doesn't want to take
the time to find out what's REALLY wrong. I'm sorry, but seeing a
patient for two minutes does not qualify anyone to diagnos
depression...and the fact that I don't have it means a lot.

And to take this farther, how do I keep a doctor from writing all sorts
of bogus things in my records? Fever and fatigue also are symptoms of
AIDS, what if he's written THAT? See what I'm saying?

First, I would make your concerns known to your doctor before he starts
going diagnosis crazy. And keep asking him what the medical criteria for
'depression' is if he keeps throwing around the d word. Next, I would find
another doctor. Finally, I believe on your next medical application, you
are required to report all visits to doctors since your last medical.
Routine checkups are exempt from that hassle IIRC. Don't worry too much
about that, it's not abnormal or disqualifying if you got sick at some
point. The biggest piece of advice I can give anyone is to keep records
of all medical applications, forever. This will make filling out your next
form a snap at the dr office, (bring along a copy of the old one and you can
make liberal use of "as previously reported" without worrying about hanging
yourself by forgetting to report something they might be expecting to see
from a past application. AOPA has some kind of tool online to simplify the
record keeping, I just make a copy of the form every x years and file it
away with my wings certificates. YMMV.