Old March 28th 04, 12:54 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 27 Mar 2004 15:16:13 -0800, (J. Paaso) wrote:

By the way, the word "siivekkeet" is translated as "winglets," but I've
assumed that this actually means "aileron."

yup, siivekkeet= aileron
So far your command of the finnish language is quite good!-)

Have to admit the little drawing in the original helped. :-)

Despite my last name, I know next to no Finnish. Just "sauna," "Ka iso
haami," and a swear word my father taught me last year. :-)

...that must be an old one (or lost in the phonetics..) I dont
recoqnize it..yet. My dad knew a whole bunch of them and tried to
teach me well.

No, the swear word is something else. When I was about ten years old or
so, my grandparents had their 50th anniversary party. Someone wrote a poem
for me to read. It was mostly in English, but one joke had the punch line,
"Ka iso hammi." Only one person in the audience laughed. I was told it
meant, "What about the big ham".

Ron "saunaless in Seattle" Wanttaja

Yeah, your name fooled me for some ten odd years, or so.

Originally "Vanttaja," of course...the "W" courtesy of Ellis Island. Been
contacted over the years by several Vanttajas from Finland.

BTW sauna's
are quite easy to construct. Much easier than flying
thing-ama-jiggies!

What I need to do build my own Fly Baby, and use the leftover wood to build
a sauna. I'd invite all the RAH scum to come visit, but I have a feeling
most of them are going to spend eternity hot enough... :-)

My brother built one in his lake cabin in Minnesota, so I had my first
sauna visit in ~30 years a couple of years back. Hadn't got all the bugs
out yet...only got it to about 145 degrees F or so. My dad kept
complaining that the ice in his drink was starting to re-freeze...

As far as I've been able´to find out the original building permit for
the OH-XOS "bowers fly baby" was dated for 10th march 1977 to a Olavi
Sakselin. Since then, there is a new permit with the same registation
: 6th of september 1996 (Fly baby model 1a) which I think is tha same
aircraft in question and although I'm not a member, I think It is the
same 'rafter project' that has been hanging in the upper shelves in
the Hämeenlinna aero-club for sometime now. As I said, I'm not 100%
sure...but.

I'm guessing few of us here are familiar with homebuilding in Finland.
Could you tell us a bit about the building activities there? Are
homebuilts very common? Do they still have the same tight rules regarding
testing, or have they gone to a easier system like the Aussies?

Ron Wanttaja