Old May 15th 18, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard McLean[_2_]

Default Landing with reduced airbrake

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 12:20:38 UTC+8, Scott Williams wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 9:45:05 PM UTC-5, Richard McLean wrote:
Hi guys,

Our club is having a discussion about the merits of reducing airbrake on
short final (well before the flare) in order to reduce the rate of descent
on
the last part of finals - in particular after using full airbrake to
correct an
overshoot i.e. you are still overshooting but reduce the airbrake to the
normal 1/2 to 2/3 range & just accept the overshoot.

This relates in particular to gliders which have a 2 point attitude which
is
quite low e.g. DG-1001 (nosewheel with retractable main) & LS8 .. a fully-
held off low energy landing in these types results in touching tail first,
and
in concert with a high rate of descent with full airbrake makes a hard tail

strike more likely.

Any thoughts or similar experience?

Cheers,

Richard McLean
Beverley Soaring Society
Western Australia

Hey Richard,
In my very limited experience and humble opinion, any medium to large spoiler changes made after overflying the aim point and just above the ground (say 5 feet or less)only complicate the landing and promote P.I.O.s (for me anyway)
I have been transitioning from an SHK to a std Cirrus, with an increased wing loading by about 45%. I have found the emphasis on low energy landing and 'delaying the touchdown' very helpful. In short, just before touchdown is a little late to shed excess energy.
So, if safe to do so, accept the overshoot in favor of a desirable soft touchdown. Of course, if limited in 'runout room' adjust accordingly.
Best of luck,
Scott
only induce

Thanks Scott,

Not suggesting any airbrake/spoiler changes near the aiming point - much earlier at about 100ft only.

Cheers,

Richard