Old October 14th 04, 12:48 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
[...]
If it is a standard UK certificate, wouldn't his easier path be
getting a US PPL based on foreign cert, a-la 61.75?

You'd think. But each pilot has their own circumstance. I'll take it as
granted that if a pilot feels it's easier to go through the "long form"
certification process than to convert a UK certificate, then it is.

Or perhaps in spite of all that aeronautical experience, he doesn't actually
hold a convertable certificate. I don't know.

Actually, I believe you might be mistaken on this one - the only night
exemption is I can see is 61.110 which appears to apply to Alaska
only.

Hmmm...interesting. Either my memory is too fuzzy, or this is yet another
example of a subtle change that occurred in 1997 (if I even have the year
correct), and which I've failed to note. They appear to have kept in the
general (non-Alaska) exception for gyroplanes, powered parachutes, and
weight-shift-control aircraft.

I could swear that, at least at some point in my past, they permitted
general "no night flying" certificates, even for pilots outside of Alaska.

Of course, the main point is that to be allowed to fly at night, all holders
of an FAA certificate obtained through the usual process must meet the night
training requirements.

Pete