Old May 7th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR GPS replace DME / ADF?

On 05/06/06 17:35, wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to IFR and just learning... if our plane doesn't have an ADF or
a DME... can we legally use, say a garmin 430, to do a NDB approach?

No. However, there are only a few cases where the GPS cannot be used
to identify an NDB or for DME. There is a section in the AIM that
talks about this. Look for a section called "Use of GPS in lieu of ADF/DME"
or something similar.

Also, can these garmin 430/480/530 units get you the DME?

It's not really DME, since DME is the actual distance to the station,
including the vertical distance (slant range) while the GPS will show
distance from/to a way point assuming no vertical distance.

For most purposes, this difference can be ignored, and the GPS
distance can be used in lieu of DME (again, see the AIM for the
exceptions).

Another point about GPS "distances" is that it generally provides
distance to the selected way point. This is not always the ground
station from which you would be receiving a DME signal.

Also, are RNAVs still used often?

GPS is RNAV, so yes.
There are also other types of RNAV...

Thanks,