Old May 7th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR GPS replace DME / ADF?

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 05/07/06 07:08, Newps wrote:

On 05/06/06 17:35, wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to IFR and just learning... if our plane doesn't have an ADF or
a DME... can we legally use, say a garmin 430, to do a NDB approach?

No.

Why not? If you'll go direct with a handheld then why not shoot an NDB
approach with an IFR certified panel mount GPS such as a 430?

The AIM section on use of GPS in lieu of NDB/DME explains why.

Now, if the NDB approach includes a GPS overlay, that's different.
The question was not about an NDB (GPS) approach, but an NDB approach.

"Tower, this will be a low approach only."