Old August 16th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ASW27B prices falling

Since this thread has drifted to the relative merits of 15 vs. 18 meter
spans - I flew my LAK-17a in 15 meter configuration during the summer
months when I could fly with higher wing loading. I converted to 18
meters in the winter months for the lower sink rate. Since I don't care
about competition, that worked just fine for me.

On 8/15/2017 8:24 PM, Papa3 wrote:
I got my 15M tips after the fact, and I think everything (tips, trailer wingtip holders, installation) cost close to $10K. Was it worth it? It opens up 15M competitions and it also makes it more "sporting" to fly with all of my span-challenged friends. This year, I've got more flights in 15M than 18M.

P3

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 4:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:13:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
There will surely be 15m tips for the V3.
15M tips are a very expensive option. 15 years ago for a V2C, the 15M tips were upwards of $7000 USD. Certainly more now.

So, you pay out the nose to get the outstanding performance of an 18M glider, then you pay even more to be able to fly it in a lower performance configuration. Makes no sense.

I wonder what % of 15/18M ships are sold with the 15M tip options.

In 2015 15 meter tips for an ASG-29 were about 7,500 Euro. It makes plenty of sense if it fits your flying. If you want to compete in both 15 and 18 meter contests, resale value, all your friends have 15 meter gliders and you like to fly with them.... etc. Two gliders for almost the price of one. I do know several 29E owners who did not get the 15 meter tips and I even know one pilot with a 29 who did not order the 18 meter tips. What makes no sense to you might make plenty of sense to someone else.

--
Dan, 5J