Old December 5th 04, 06:37 PM
dave

There are quite a few here in eastern PA and NJ. Some are almost next
to each other like Sky Manor and Alexandria. An engine out halfway
between would still require some altitude to make it to one or the other.

A tip I picked up from AOPA magazine is to flight plan my cross
countries to fly over or very close to airports along my route if
they're only a few minutes out of my way. Hopefully if there's a
problem I'll be able to make it to an airport.

Dave
68 7ECA

mindenpilot wrote:
I live out West, where there are hundreds of miles of empty space in every
direction. When flight planning, I often say, "I can ditch in that dry lake
bed, or that field, or if I have to, on that road."

In a couple of weeks, I'm travelling to North Carolina to visit my brother
for the holidays. I'm planning on renting a plane at his local airport and
taking him for a flight. To prepare, I got the Charlotte sectional.

When I opened it up, I couldn't believe it! The thing is literally dotted
with airports. They're everywhere!

Seems to me, I'd much rather be on the east coast when I have an engine
failure, instead of out here where you're lucky to find that dry lake bed
(instead of a mountain).

Anyone ever notice this before?

Adam
N7966L