Old October 24th 03, 05:34 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
news:3f9837b1$1@darkstar...
I had a chance to fly a 737 sim with the folks from
microsoft flight simulator dev group.

I asked them why the sim has roll stability (if the
plane is left in a bank, it magically rolls straight
and level over time).

They mentioned it made it easier for those playing the GAME
(emphasizing the purposeful difference from realism)
to fly the various planes.

So we got to talking about the idea of weight shift
controlled aircraft.

Has anyone heard of weight controlled fixed wing gliders?
It seems interesting since drag is caused by ailerons
(or elevator for that matter). The least drag
is conceivable if there are no external moving parts.
And no rudder? Hmm..wouldn't that be nice.

This might have some downsides. Recovery from a 90 degree
bank could be interesting or difficult. Control responsiveness
could be a bit tough too.

Anyone remember the old puzzle where you guided a ball
through a wooden maze?

C'mon you bored post season guys, this oughta give you
something to consider.

though an interesting exercise, twisting or precession might be easier to
implement and more reliable, in that order

OBTW, soaring season never ends here, in a manner of speaking, however, you
have to show up to know this