Old October 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
snip

The engine will be checked for leaks, run till it's warmed up, then
shut down and the oil drained and replaced, and the oil filter
replaced. With fresh oil, I can then mount the prop and begin to run
the engine up against the load of the prop. Hmm, maybe I should buy
myself a cheap motorcycle helmet to use while standing in the prop
blast...

Corky (tie it down firmly) Scott

I think you'll be amazed at how quickly a loud engine/prop on a test stand
will make bystanders retreat. We had a fellow in our EAA chapter run his
Subaru 6 cylinder on a test stand at one of our meetings. The members all
started off about 10' from the test stand. As soon as it started, people
backed off to 20', and when he wound it up a little, the chickens among us
ducked around the corner of the hangar. It was much quieter and less windy
there.

KB